By Gwen Dawkins
I don’t know about you, but after the doozy of a year we’ve had, I just want to feel comfy right now. Since it looks like most of us will be cocooning over the next few months, here are some gift ideas for wellness and wellbeing.
A Good Soak
A warm mineral bath helps calm the body and reduces inflammation. I like to add these to my bath before bed:
- Life-Flo Magnesium Flakes, Magnesium Chloride Brine from Zechstein Seabed –– they’re also good for foot baths.
- I also like Goop’s “The Martini” Emotional Detox Bath Soak, with pink Himalayan salt and chia seed oil.
- These Luxury Soaking Salts include 250 mg of CBD to help calm and promote sleep.
Loungewear & Pajamas
We have a new Covid-spawned term in our family, “house pants!”
- Yes, please on these traditional sweatpants;
- Or these slightly fancier terry joggers –– you know, “for work.”
- Speaking of fancy, how about these for “dressing up?”
- I’m not sure I’d ever find a compelling reason to change out of these cashmere joggers.
I’m not into nightgowns. Instead, I’m a classic pajama girl. In winter, especially, I like my legs to remain covered and warm while I sleep.
- I love these by Johnny Was: Kubrick Long Pajama Set.
- And these by Bedhead: Royal Delft Long Sleeve in organic stretch jersey.
- For dreaming of the tropics: Banana Leaf Print Pajamas
I keep these books by my bedside. They offer brief and uplifting thought-provoking passages to read before bed or in times of contemplation:
- I’ve Been Thinking…The Journal: Inspirations, Prayers, and Reflections of Your Meaningful Life By Maria Shriver.
- And, Answered Prayers from the Divine, by Julia Cameron, who is also the author of the famed The Artist’s Way.
Flowering Facial Mists
For a quick spritz of good vibes only, (plus anti-aging hyaluronic acid):
- I tried this Daily Essential’s Kit by Tata Harper. It absolutely makes me feel like I’m at the spa. In fact, I’m totally hooked on the amazing aroma of the Hydrating Floral Essence –– it’s the last step in my bedtime skincare routine.
- I also like this less expensive option, Heritage Store Rosewater Facial Toner.
I’m a terrible sleeper. When my head hits the pillow, I’m asleep in less than five minutes. The problem is that I rarely stay asleep all night. However, these products have made a noticeable, positive difference for me:
- I take 2-3 magnesium tablets at bedtime. These are two quality brands I like: Pure Encapsulations Magnesium and Vital Nutrients Triple Mag.
- I have a diffuser on my nightstand that provides a little white noise and fills my bedroom with soothing, peaceful scents while I sleep. I have a wood-look diffuser, but I also love the look of this pretty ceramic round-geometric option, which also offers multiple colored light options.
- Essential oils are key for diffusers. Several studies show they may be beneficial for helping depression, anxiety and sleep. Some of my personal favorites include bergamot, neroli, ylang ylang and lavender.
Even in the worst of times (which these are not!), finding things to be grateful for lift our spirits by reminding us about what we love and are thankful to have in our lives:
- I like the simple, classic design of this one –– not too frilly or flowery.
- A friend gifted this book to me, Do One Thing That Makes You Happy.
- An irreverent option that speaks to my inner and outer smart alec, Let That Sh*t Go: A Journal for Leaving Your Bullsh*t Behind and Creating A Happy Life.
*Affiliate links within this post
Affiliate links within this post